Senior Software Engineer (Experimentation)
Wheel is the health tech company powering the next generation of healthcare. The entire healthcare industry is racing to serve patients online, but outdated business models, technologies, and mindsets are continuing to get in the way. We pioneered a new way for companies to build and scale virtual care.
Instead of starting from scratch, companies can leverage Wheel’s virtual care platform and nationwide clinician network to develop a virtual care service — bypassing the 15 months and $15 million it can take to build from the ground up. Today, Wheel powers the most innovative companies in healthcare today, including digital health companies, clinical lab networks, retailers, traditional healthcare providers, and tech companies.
We’re a team of experts and innovators working together to solve some of healthcare’s most challenging problems in order to put great care within everyone’s reach. We’ve raised $216 million in funding and backed by top investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Tiger Global, Coatue, CRV, Tusk Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, and Silverton Partners.
In the last year we’re proud to have been named:
- Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startups
- Built In’s Best Remote-First Places to Work
- CB Insights Digital Health 150
- Business Insider 30 Leaders under 40 Changing Healthcare
We’re looking for people to join our team who share a passion for making a positive difference in healthcare and feel connected to our core values.
As a Sr. Software Engineer at Wheel, you’ll jump right in and work on projects that are critical to the success of the company. Our engineers are self-motivated, versatile, compassionate, and can work equally well in highly collaborative settings as well as those with little direction. The majority of our work is ‘green field’ with the opportunity to be part of defining ‘best in class’ solutions to virtual care problems.
- Design and develop the infrastructure required for supporting the back-end and front-end services and teams at Wheel to use feature-flagging, A/B testing, multivariate testing, derive statistical significance for experiment analysis, integrate events, monitor the impact on metrics, and get alerted.
- Drive “Experimentation Culture” at Wheel. Be a part of leveling up experimentation and causal inference culture at Wheel.
- Treat other developers as customers, and provide them high quality infrastructure that makes it easy, effective and pleasurable for them to evaluate multiple alternative pathways to achieving our OKRs
- Identify and conduct high impact experiments that utilize and “dog-food” the experimentation infrastructure you build.
- Work with leadership to establish direction for experimentation and inference at Wheel, by setting long-term vision, defining strategy, and communicating to stakeholders.
- Participate in all phases of software development from architecture/design through implementation, testing, code reviews and on-call.
- Mentor and guide teams in best-practices for experimenting within modern web products and distributed systems; providing code and design reviews, setting a high bar for quality.
- Collaborate with product, design, and leadership to ideate and choose high impact projects within their scope of responsibility that help move the business forward.
- 4+ years of development experience building real-world web applications in production environments.
- You have worked on building and scaling an experimentation platform at your previous company for at least 2+ years.
- Experience developing backend services and tools in any one of the following languages - Java/Kotlin, Golang, Python.
- Understanding of REST principles and experience working with and implementing backend APIs.
- You are a collaborative engineer and an empathetic person who works well within a diverse team.
- Experience collaborating with engineers, product managers, and data scientists to help them run the experiments effectively, debug issues, measure and analyze the impact and adopt best practices.
- You can operate autonomously and have a strong desire to make an impact
- Comfortable working in a “remote-first” environment with team members distributed across multiple time zones.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills; able to explain possible solutions to non-technical team members.
- Proven ability to learn new technologies quickly.