Director of Engineering
Wheel is the health tech company powering the next generation of healthcare. The entire healthcare industry is racing to serve patients online, but outdated business models, technologies, and mindsets are continuing to get in the way. We pioneered a new way for companies to build and scale virtual care.
Instead of starting from scratch, companies can leverage Wheel’s virtual care platform and nationwide clinician network to develop a virtual care service — bypassing the 15 months and $15 million it can take to build from the ground up. Today, Wheel powers the most innovative companies in healthcare today, including digital health companies, clinical lab networks, retailers, traditional healthcare providers, and tech companies.
We’re a team of experts and innovators working together to solve some of healthcare’s most challenging problems in order to put great care within everyone’s reach. We’ve raised $216 million in funding and backed by top investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Tiger Global, Coatue, CRV, Tusk Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, and Silverton Partners.
In the last year we’re proud to have been named:
- Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startups
- Built In’s Best Remote-First Places to Work
- CB Insights Digital Health 150
- Business Insider 30 Leaders under 40 Changing Healthcare
We’re looking for people to join our team who share a passion for making a positive difference in healthcare and feel connected to our core values.
We’re seeking a seasoned and impact focused Engineering Sr. Director / Director for our Marketplace and Clinician Experience Units. Our Marketplace teams are responsible for the technology that dynamically matches patients to clinicians across all of our clients in all 50 states. In addition, they build the tools and workflows that our Operations team uses to manage the Wheel Marketplace. The Clinician Experience Unit is responsible for building tools for our most precious resource - the clinicians in our network that provide high-quality care to thousands of people every day. As an engineering leader you will be responsible for rapidly setting up, recruiting, growing and guiding multiple global engineering teams that focus on areas such as, but not limited to, new product development, improving/scaling our services, and building strong culture of high-velocity within the teams. You will collaborate with your Product Management and Design peers to shape the focus areas of the operating unit that helps the company achieve its short and long term strategic objectives.
Success in this role requires strategic leadership qualities, building alignment with cross-functional partners/teams around the world, implementing advanced practices, continuous improvement methodology, talent hiring and organizational growth, and exemplifying the Wheel cultural values through your actions.
- Lead engineering for two operating units responsible for two key areas of Wheel’s platform
- Mentor engineering leaders in building best practices and providing growth paths for individuals
- Recruit and setup global engineering teams at scale in a fast paced environment
- Manage the timely delivery of multiple complex projects spanning several teams - including those from your operating unit and others
- Leading by example, creating a sense of energy and accountability to the work and being the torch-bearer for our culture
- Work with Product Managers, Architects, UX Designers, Project Managers to define high velocity roadmaps and ensure transparent delivery of the roadmap.
- Contribute to product planning and feature definition, leveraging qualitative and quantitative data to help drive informed decision-making
- Bring alignment between company and executive direction and team aspirations
- Help the team balance tactical and strategic priorities, balancing tech debt along with business critical features to ensure we deliver a world class, high availability, and secure infrastructure that provides our customers the confidence to run their business critical operations on our platform
- Assume accountability for the quality, consistency, and delivery of the engineering team
- Collaborate with the global engineering peers to develop consistent engineering practices
- 12+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 8+ years of cloud engineering team management experience, preferably focused on SaaS Enterprise software
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated success with leadership, cross-functional partnership and collaboration
- Comfortable leading through influence and authority
- Comfortable in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment with multiple stakeholders, can adjust to changing priorities
- Willingness to work with global teams in a remote-first environment
- Experience in managing complex dependencies and associated conflicts in delivery timelines