Principal Software Engineer
Wheel is powering virtual care. We are a healthcare technology company bringing together both the tech infrastructure and the clinicians to power many of the industry’s leading telehealth services. By enabling more companies and clinicians to participate in virtual care, Wheel is helping to connect patients to the best care for their health needs.
We’re a remote-first company with a hub in Austin, Texas, and we are proud to have been recently named one of Built In Austin’s Best Places to Work and Best Small Company to Work For. Wheel is backed by top investors; Lightspeed Venture Partners, CRV, Tusk Ventures, and Silverton Partners. We’re looking for new Wheelies who share a passion for making a positive difference in healthcare and feel connected to our core values.
Learn more about what we are building in Forbes.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone by ensuring how we work is aligned with our core values of:
Grit to grow.
To learn more about how we work, check out our careers page.
As a Principal Engineer at Wheel, you will help guide the evolution of our Engineering team and technology while supporting new greenfield opportunities. You will help establish technical standards and drive Wheel’s architecture, engineering practices, and engineering methodologies. You work on our hardest problems, building high-quality, scalable, and architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. Principal Engineers are pragmatic visionaries who can translate business needs into workable technology solutions. You should also be able to mentor, guide, and train other engineers.
- Mentor engineers on the team and help them grow in their careers
- Influence teams to continuously improve while supporting progressive ways to solve problems; adopt new technologies and strategies where applicable.
- Work holistically across different teams at Wheel, bringing a lean and iterative mindset
- Drive architecture and build systems for multiple orders of magnitude of growth
- Balance the needs of uptime, security, privacy, scalability, flexibility, and performance consistent with business needs
- Evaluate opportunities, risk,s and technical strategies and provide key findings to internal partners
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Has material experience with modern open-source technologies
- Deep experience building web applications and B2B SaaS products
- Comfortable making architectural decisions in ambiguous and fast-moving environments
- Comprehensive experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) services
- Knowledge of architectural patterns and archetypes for building scalable services
- Has led multiple technology projects/teams and/or has been the go-to person on several past projects.
Wheel continues to maintain its commitment to creating an inclusive and equitable work environment, and believes pay transparency is an important component. We are reviewing our internal policies and practices to ensure this is enabled for all employees, regardless of where they are located. In the meantime, this role can be performed remotely, with the exception of Colorado on a temporary basis. Colorado-based candidates will resume consideration in Q1 2022.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
At Wheel, we know we will go further together by celebrating diversity and that starts by honoring each of our unique lived experiences. We look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups: women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender non-conforming, first and second-generation immigrants, veterans and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds. We are committed to ensuring a safe work environment where employees are not discriminated against based on age, race, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that believes in health, equity, equality, and prosperity for all so we can succeed in changing the way healthcare works.